Wartime needs for learning facilities and for college-trained men, particularly engineers, generated a synergistic partnership during World War II between institutions of higher education and the U.S. military. In 1942, Fr. William J. Mahoney became president of St. John's University and negotiated with the military to transform St. John's into a training site for the Army Specialized Training Corps, (3230th Service Command Unit). The program dismantled in 1944 when men in greater numbers were needed at the fronts, not in the classrooms. There are only two known student newsletters from the ASTP, which were never officially named.